The Commandment of Life
Romans 7: 1-4
1. Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
2. For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
3. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
4. Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
Verse 4 -we are to be “married to another”…even to Him who is raised from the dead….made one with resurrection Life…quickened into newness of Life.
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
The Law does not apply to those who walk in the Spirit.
1 Tim. 1:9
Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers…
This is our victory. Caught up into resurrection Life. Walking after the Spirit of Life.
1. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4. That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
The old man was subject to the law, but not the new man. He is subject to Grace and Truth and the Spirit of Life. The only commandment we are expected to obey now is the…
COMMANDMENT of ETERNAL LIFE.
Yes, since the resurrection of Jesus Christ…LIFE has become a commandment. That which is possible and PAID FOR…and given to man as his provision of strength and purpose…is now the only commandment expected to be kept by God‘s own people.
49. For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, He gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
50. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.
The very Life of Christ spoke of Eternal Life. Everything that He said promoted and made the way for Life everlasting. He was the very Eternal Life of God manifested.
1 John 1:1,2
1. That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
2. (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and show unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
And now we are expected to walk in and conduct ourselves according to what has been given to us and made available to us…which is a real and vital union with Life Himself!
Married...made one with Life. In an agreement with Life. A covenant with Life. It is our nature…our first nature…as born-again offspring of God.
In a marriage which is truly based upon and motivated in Love….there is no need for external laws, commandments and regulations. Our “marriage agreement” now, as new creatures, need only be that of submission, obedience and intimacy.
But to what do we submit, what do we obey, and with what (or whom) are we intimate? Where does it start?
Of course it starts with God. This is where LIFE begins and He is our source of who we now are. It is the commandment of Life which we are to now be submitted to, obedient to and be intimately acquainted with. What we are and what we have is what we are accountable to.
But how do we demonstrate this obedience and actually walk this out? Where does the rubber meet the road in the very practice of this walk in the Spirit and obedience to Eternal Life?
Next question: where is the devil’s main attack now that the law has been done away. Satan can only attack with temptation where a commandment is given.
8. But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9. For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10. And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
11. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
Attacking us in the realm of the law is futile for any semblance of a legal case for the ‘accuser of the brethren’ as he tries to bring a charge against us. For the spiritually ignorant child of God who falls for these false grounds is only wasting time and spinning their tires on a road which they do not belong on. It is the realm of the dead….the “old man”. Which, in itself, is a sin against Life…the commandment of Life.
The commandment of Life was given in the realm of Life…to the New Man…where Satan has no access. In this realm of the Spirit he “has nothing in us”….he cannot touch us. All that the enemy can do is try to keep us out of that realm of Life, that realm of the Spirit where the new man lives.
He accomplishes this by keeping individuals in a state of carnal-mindedness, where the world, the flesh and the devil thrive and hold us down from our rightful heritage…our new man potential.
It says here over and over that “sin takes occasion by the commandment”. But as new creatures in Christ Jesus we do not have to concern ourselves with the obligations and boundaries of the law. That is NOT our focus. “The law of the Spirit of Life has made us free from the law of sin and death”. (Rom. 8:2)
If you are in an aeroplane…you no longer have to worry about gravity. The law of thrust and propulsion has made you free from gravity. The focus for the pilots is to operate the controls that overcome gravity.
The law simply served to show us the “sinfulness of our sin”, and our need for a Saviour…Grace and a stronger Power! We are now under Grace. We are now under the obligations and boundaries of God’s favour, His power and His indwelling Life. Serving a new Master, a new Husband…serving in newness of Life.
So what is sin? …in it’s basic nature? It is selfishness. Self will. Self-preservation, self-indulgence, self-gratification, self-deception, self-exultation. And these all “took occasion”….found expression…when the commandment was given. Even in the Garden of Eden. Satan (the serpent) had nothing to work with until a commandment was issued.
Without the law sin lies dormant….there’s nothing to break. Satan has nothing to work with to entice rebellion. But when a commandment is given….sin revives and finds occasion. Satan incites selfishness, self-dependency, and self-will…putting man’s pride and ego before his need of God.
So now, actually, sin was again rendered ineffective…sin again lies dormant…by the law being done away in Christ by the cross and resurrection. We are dead to the law…divorced from the law…by the body of Christ. To be married to the Prince of Life. (“the strength of sin was the law” 1 Corin. 15:56)
We are once again “alive without the law”. But we find that we still stumble, we disobey, we go our own way and enter areas of selfishness. So how does Satan cause sin to revive in us? How does he cause us to transgress? WHAT do we transgress…if the law is done away?
It can only now be the transgression of the commandment of Life and Love.
The enemy simply entices and arouses selfishness and carnal-mindedness to keep us OUT OF the realm of Life and Love. To keep us from walking in the Spirit.
The One we are now married to is Life and Love and Truth. This is now our allegiance. We are to stay true to these virtues of Christ’s character and attributes of God’s Kingdom. Being loyal and faithful partakers of the divine nature of God. This is what was paid for. This is what is now available. This is who we now are! Being “true to one’s self” takes on a whole new meaning.
There is a new commandment…new marriage vows! …we are held accountable to within our union, within our covenant with Life. It is the commandment of Love. We are held accountable to what He has given us, made us and quickened us into…His Life and His Love.
Contrary to the law, within this commandment (of Life and Love) is the ability to fulfill itself. Amazing Grace. Accountable and enabled to BE what we now are!
It is no longer a matter of trying to do something which is against our nature, but a being true to our NEW nature.
Matthew 22:36-40 “Thou shalt LOVE…”
Romans 13:8-10 “love is the fulfilling of the law…”
1 John 3:8-24
8. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
11. For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
12. Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
13. Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
14., We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
15. Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
16. Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17. But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
18. My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19. And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
20. For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
21. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
22. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23. And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24. And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.
This new commandment is the very Life and Love of God birthed within us…as was in Christ. The True Light has shined within us! ….and we are obligated…even EMPOWERED to walk in that Light, to walk in that Life and Love of God. “He that loves abides in the Light”
We are now empowered, and even commissioned…to “lay our lives down” for others, for the sake of Truth and God’s Kingdom….the cause and purpose of Life and Love. That commandment of Life (commission and empowerment) is IN us!
17. Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
Within the commandment is the POWER for Love to fully express itself….Himself, as we see patterned in Jesus Christ.
7. Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
8. Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
9. He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
Obedience now lies in our hearkening unto the voice and leadings of God’s Love. The commandment of Life can only be carried out as we walk in the Spirit. (Romans 8:1-14)
Our failure now to promote Life, even to be Life-giving agents of God…is accomplished as we would remain in a carnally-minded condition.
Jesus remained in a spiritually-minded state of heart and mind at all times, therefore Satan “had nothing in Him”. Nothing of the world, the flesh or the devil caused Him to stray from the commission of Life and Love. Selfishness had no place in Him. Love inwardly governed His every move. He was moved by compassion.
James 2:12 & James 1:25 see: “Law of liberty” …the “perfect law of liberty” of course, is LOVE.
13. For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
11. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14. For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
16. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
17. But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
We are now “ALIVE UNTO GOD”.
“…yield yourselves unto God”
NOW are we servants of righteousness. Servants of Love and Life and Truth. Empowered and Commissioned by a new commandment…”which THING is true in Him and in you”…made kings and priests, sons and daughters, …”according to the POWER of an endless Life”.