¯And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.¯ 1 Corinthians 12:26
Christians are the single most persecuted religious group in the world, totalling 75% of all those persecuted for their faith. Although this alarming fact is largely ignored by the mainstream media, this does not excuse the church in the West from any action or responsibility to the plight of the persecuted church. Is not the measure of our ministry described in Matthew 25:35-36,40 the actual plumb-line for our actions? Certainly Jesus cares about those members of His body being abused, and so should His followers. It is time to discover the atrocities committed against the persecuted church, and defend our brothers and sisters in Christ around the world while we can.
After all, we live in the information age, connected to the world through the world wide web, where one only has to Google ¯persecution¯ to be educated about this disturbingly growing trend. In addition, there are many organizations and commissions that work to expose the plight of the persecuted church. It is time for the church in the West to stop buying the lie of political correctness and work to help alleviate the sufferings of the Saints around the world. Jesus gave His true followers the mandate to find practical ways to serve the persecuted church, ministering to them in their suffering, as if we were ministering to Christ Himself!
So, what can you do to show your love of and care to Jesus for the persecuted church?
- Download a copy of the World Watch List, where persecuted countries are ranked according to their level of persecution. Get on your knees and pray for each of these nations and their leaders.
- Subscribe to the various websites that showcase and serve those who suffer for their faith. Join their various prayer campaigns, and subscribe to their prisoner alerts mailing lists. (Open Doors, and Voice of the Martyrs are two great sites to help keep you informed and help guide your prayers. Peruse their sites to discover how you can be actively involved in alleviating the suffering.
- Help your pastor with organizing prayer for the persecuted. Collect specific requests.
Above all, make praying for the persecuted church your priority. Be determined, by God's grace, to minister to the suffering saints, as you would minister to Christ Himself! Let's get started now!
- Share with your friends your discoveries about the plight of the persecuted church. Use Facebook , Twitter, or other social media to alert your friends to pray.
- Promote the International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church in your church.
- Become involved with the web campaigns to donate Bibles, blankets, food or money to help Christ¯s children endure or survive their sufferings.
- Join letter writing campaigns to government officials pleading for the rights of the persecuted. Write to your brothers in prison, encouraging them to stay steadfast during their various trials.
May prayer updates
Thanks for praying. Your prayers make THE difference!
Maranatha. Jesus is coming soon and bringing His reward with Him. Are you ready? Is your family ready?